Adelaide Christian Centre was pioneered in 1945 by the late Pastor Leo Harris. As a young man Leo Harris was used by God in a remarkable way across Australia and New Zealand. While he was in New Zealand in 1944, Leo Harris received a very clear call from the Lord to come to Adelaide.
Leo Harris commenced meetings in Adelaide in 1945 which soon grew as a result of God pouring out His Spirit upon many people at that time. From humble beginnings the work grew and soon new outreaches were commenced across Adelaide and South Australia. New centres were also pioneered in Victoria in the late 1940′s and the early 1950′s.
The work in Adelaide continued to grow and by the late 1960′s and early 1970′s had become the largest Pentecostal church in the nation. In those days it was known as Adelaide Crusade Centre.
Leo Harris was used by God to found the movement now know as CRC Churches International which is now operating in a number of countries in the Asia Pacific region with approximately 800 churches in total. For many years the movement was known as the Christian Revival Crusade. In recent years the name of the movement was changed to CRC Churches International. The name of the local church is commonly known as ‘Sturt Street’, Adelaide Christian Centre.
The CRC missions work also began from this local Church. The first missionaries were deployed in the early 1960′s to Papua New Guinea in partnership with the Foursquare movement. In 1972 the CRC set up its own base in Port Moresby under the leadership of Pastor Barry and Rosalie Silverback who were sent from Adelaide Christian Centre.
By the mid 1970′s Adelaide Christian Centre was a thriving hub of spiritual renewal and revival. Leo Harris set up Crusade Bible School which was a training centre for many scores of men and women who became very fruitful ministries in Australia and overseas.
In 1977 Leo Harris went to be with the Lord and Saviour he loved and served. The church moved ahead for a period, following the death of the founding pastor, but then went through a difficult time for a number of years.
In recent times the church has moved forward and now continues to grow and is a vibrant city based Pentecostal/Charismatic church with a significant influence in Adelaide and the nations.
A significant part of the mandate of the church is Christian Education. Leo Harris had a vision for Christian Education and plans were developed in 1976 and 1977 for a Christian School. Sunrise Christian School was founded in 1978. A few years later Temple Christian College was founded as a sister organization for high school students.
Both these schools are governed by the Elders of this Church in their capacity as the Board of Governors for Adelaide Christian Schools which is the parent organization for the schools.
Both Sunrise and Temple have grown under God’s blessing to the point where there are now 8 campuses in South Australia with about 2000 students enrolled. In 2010 Adelaide Christian Schools (ACS) commenced a school in Port Moresby in partnership with Bethel Christian Centre. In 2011 ACS began to assist a school in Walhalla, USA to ‘re-launch’.
Neil Milne serves as the Senior Pastor of Adelaide Christian Centre, 27 Sturt Street, Adelaide and Chairman of Adelaide Christian Schools.
Neil was the Senior Pastor of Portside Community Church in Port Adelaide for 14 years. Prior to that he and his wife Joy served in India and pioneered and led several churches in Australia. Neil has served widely across the CRC including 6 years as the National Chairman from 1996 to 2002.
We are a group of God’s people who believe in new beginnings.
We are people, just like you, who are discovering their new beginning in every area of life: spiritually, emotionally, physically, financially and in their family.
We have been called by God to reach our world by building a thriving, growing, spirit filled church; our challenge is to equip and empower people to become new generation leaders who will impact every sphere of society